Kala’s Perfect Pipeable Swiss Meringue Buttercream Recipe
by Kala Boulard at Almondsandapricots.com
Ingredients for Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 2 ¾ sticks of salted butter
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon LorAnn Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion
- 3-4 drops Assorted Liquid Gel Food Colors
- Pinch of salt (⅛ teaspoon)
How to make the Buttercream:
- Wipe down the mixing bowl, whisk attachments, and all other equipment with white vinegar to ensure there is no fat residue on anything before starting.
- Add the egg whites and sugar to a stand mixer bowl set over a double boiler.
- Stir constantly until the egg whites reach 140°F-144°F.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Whip the egg white-sugar mixture on high speed using the whisk attachment until medium-stiff peaks form.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest speed and slowly add the softened butter in chunks.
- Next, add Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion, and whip on high speed for 8 minutes.
- Place the bowl back over your double boiler to soften the butter a bit more, about 30-60 seconds until small puddles form at the bottom of the bowl- this is called tempering.
- Then, transition to the paddle attachment and beat for 5 more minutes on low speed until it is shiny and completely smooth.
- Divide buttercream into separate bowls and color using LorAnn Liquid Gel Food Colors of choice.
DOUBLE THIS RECIPE IF YOU WANT MORE BUTTERCREAM FOR CAKE DECORATING**