- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Evenly distribute cake batter. Each cupcake liner should be about ½ full.
- Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Cherry Bomb Frosting
You can add the jello straight to the buttercream, but I find it doesn’t fully dissolve and can be a touch grainy- so I make a super concentrated jello-liquid and then add the cooled mixture to the buttercream. Whipped up well it creates a super-smooth, cherry flavored, marshmallow buttercream!