Very Cherry Cake Filling
By Kala Boulard, Test Kitchen Sponsored by Flavor Right
When cherry season hits, skip the pie and make cake instead! A refreshing and stable whipped cherry filling pairs perfectly with layers of chocolate cake. Can’t find fresh cherries? No problem. Use frozen instead and make it any time of year.
Whipped Cherry Filling
10 ounces cherries, fresh or frozen
⅔ cup granulated sugar
⅔ cup water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 pounds Flavor Right Whip’n Ice
- Place the cherries, sugar, water, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 5 to 8 minutes, until the cherries get soft and the juice starts to thicken slightly.
- Transfer the cherry filling to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Return the mixture to the heat and simmer for 3 more minutes, or until the filling coats the back of a spoon.
- Place the cherry filling into a clean bowl and cover it tightly with plastic. Allow to cool to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator to fully cool and thicken for 2 hours.
- Whip the Flavor Right Whip’n Ice according to the container’s directions until stiff peaks form. Divide evenly between 2 bowls.
- Gently fold the cherry filling into 1 of the bowls of Whip’n Ice until you reach your desired swirl effect.
- Load the cherry filling into a piping bag and fill your cake.
- In a separate piping bag, load the remaining balance of whipped Whip’n Ice to coat and decorate the cake.