Feelin’ Groovy Shag Cake
Celebrating 60 years of LorAnn Oils with a super-retro shag cake.
by Kala Boulard
Assorted Lorann Oils Liquid Food Coloring
Swiss meringue buttercream
Piping tips: #233 and #1M
Mini disco balls
Shag the Cake:
- Choose a 1960s color scheme from LorAnn’s wide array of gel food colorings and mix them into separate bowls of buttercream.
- Load piping bags with the colored buttercream
- Working from the bottom up, start to apply the shag pulls 1 on top of the other. Apply even pressure while pulling the buttercream downward. Pulling the buttercream straight out from the cake will result in a shag that resembles grass and you won’t be able to get a long pull. Angling the tip at a 45-degree angle and pulling downward will yield the best results.
- Use different colors and different tips to create variation in design.
- Fill piping bags with leftover colored buttercream and snip the tips. Pipe individual shag pieces to fill in any gaps you see.
- Add mini disco balls for the final retro touch and get groovy!
Tip: Add a small drop of brown coloring to each buttercream color to achieve a classic warmer and muted ’60s feel. Not too much, just a dab!
For more information, visit LorAnn Oils.