Strawberry–Basil Cream Cake
By Reva Alexander-Hawk, Test Kitchen Sponsored by Flavor Right
This fresh, clean flavor combination is perfect to whip up for a summer garden wedding. Using a few simple ingredients, you can create a memorable taste sensation that will be the talk of the event!
- 3 cups Flavor Right Vanilla Whip’n Ice
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil, divided
- ½ cup organic freeze–dried strawberry powder
- 1 six-inch round vanilla cake, cut into 3 layers
- 1 four-inch round vanilla cake, cut into 3 layers
Make Strawberry-Basil Whip’n Ice
- Before using the Whip’n Ice, thaw completely in the refrigerator. Shake gently before opening.
- Remove the strawberry stems and dice the strawberries into small pieces. Place them into a bowl and add the granulated sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of the fresh basil. Set aside for at least 1 hour so the flavors can develop together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the Whip’n Ice, strawberry powder and the remaining 2 tablespoons of fresh basil. Whip on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the Cake
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a coupler with the prepared Whip’n Ice. Pipe a barrier around the edge of the cake layer to keep the strawberries from sliding out.
- Spoon some of the strawberry and basil mixture onto the layer, making sure to allow some of the juice to absorb into the cake.
- Top the strawberries with more prepared Whip’n Ice and continue to fill the remaining cake layers and ice as normal.
- Use a cake comb or an offset spatula to create the textured sides and decorate. If you prefer to have no basil showing on the outside, simply whip up another batch of Whip’n Ice without the basil.
Trusted by independent bakeries since 1966, find FlavorRight products near you here.