Pumpkin Spice Cake with Blood Orange Caramel
By Charity Pykles-George
2 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
2 c all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 /2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbs pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Nielson Massey vanilla extract
2 c pumpkin puree
- Combine sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl; stir into oil mixture, beating well. Stir in pumpkin puree.
- Pour batter into a 3″ high 9″ round cake pan with parchment on the bottom, sprayed with oil. Bake at 350°F for 65 to 75 minutes or until skewer inserted into center comes out clean.
- Place onto rack to cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate before cutting layers and filling.
“Blood” Orange Salted Caramel
8 oz sugar
3 /4 oz corn syrup
1/3 c+ 1-1/2 tbsp water
6 oz cream
1 -1 /4 oz butter
Nielsen-Massey Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla extract
1 tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Orange extract
1/8 tsp Chef Rubber Concentrated Red
Sea salt, to taste
- Heat sugar, water and corn syrup, occasionally washing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush until mixture is boiling and turns a dark amber color.
- Carefully add cream (the mixture will bubble up), stirring with a whisk, then add butter and salt to taste.
- Bring back to boil and cook for another two to three minutes. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes then add the vanilla,orange and red color, whisking them in completely.
8 oz sugar
1 lb powdered sugar
2/3 c deZaan Velvet 22-24 cocoa powder
1 /4 tsp salt
1 /4 tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla extract
1 /4 tsp Neilsen-Massey Pure Chocolate extract
7 tbsp butter
1/3 c hot water
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Charity notes: Pulsing your mixer at the start of mixing will avoid any “clouds” of powder.
Additional fillings for this cake include:
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Chef Rubber caramelized cacao nibs and
roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas).
Split cake and fill each layer in this order:
- Chocolate buttercream with caramelized cacao nibs on top
- Thin layer of Swiss meringue buttercream to seal the cake,then blood orange salted caramel, top with pumpkins seeds
- Frost entire cake with Swiss meringue buttercream before covering with fondant.