Indulge in a little romance with these darling cupcakes from Becky Beverly of Icing On Top – Becky’s Cakes. Ideal for Valentine’s Day, cupcake towers, and dessert tables, this piped confection is a must for your sweet repertoire.
Note: I follow the recipe below but add more confectioners’ sugar until the icing becomes a very stiff consistency.
- Mini cooled cupcakes
- Food color: RedRed (Americolor)
- 2 cups hi-ratio shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 3 lb confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon butter flavoring
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Beat the shortening first to remove any lumps.
- Dissolve the salt in the milk first before adding it to the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low for 3 minutes if using a stand mixer. If you have doubled the recipe, beat on low for 10 minutes.
- Piping bags
- Ateco #124 rose tip
- Skewer or dowel
- Add some faint pink/red buttercream to a piping bag and cut away a small portion of the tip. Pipe a cone onto the center of a cupcake.
2. Prepare a second piping bag by inserting the Ateco #124 rose tip and “color striping” the bag. You “color stripe” by lining the narrow end of the tip with the seam of the bag, and using a skewer or wooden dowel, “stripe” a dot of RedRed food coloring down the seam of your piping bag to the narrow end of the tip.
3. Using the #124 tip, wrap the cone all the way around with your first petal, keeping the narrow, “color stripe” side up. Your cone will now look like this.
4. With the narrow end toward the cone, wrap the cone with 3 more petals.
5. Continue around the rose, piping additional petals.
6. Keep piping petals around the cone until your rose looks full. For the outside petals, turn the narrow colored end toward you so that the tip is almost flat and pipe a few open petals to finish.