Nothing says summertime like strawberries and cream, and this delicious recipe from our editor, Rebekah Wilbur, will knock your socks off! Enjoy a refreshing slice of heaven with this delightful strawberry cake, layered with strawberry compote and topped with lashings of whipped vanilla buttercream.
For the Cake:
- 1/3 cup freeze dried strawberries (blitzed until slightly crumbly)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare pans: Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans or four 6 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in the five eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Combine the flour and baking powder. Stir the dry ingredients into the batter alternating with milk and finishing with the flour. Finally at a low speed, mix in vanilla, strawberry puree, and freeze dried strawberries. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 15 minutes, before removing from pans to cool completely.
- 1 lb strawberries (1 lb = 16 oz or 454 g)
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
Hull and chop strawberries and place into a medium saucepan, cover with water and add in sugar and zest. Bring to boil for 5 minutes stirring to avoid catching. Add lemon juice and reduce heat. Add cornstarch and simmer until thickened. Cool completely before use.
Whipped Vanilla Buttercream
- 3 cup (6 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 7 cups confectioners sugar, sifted*
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- pinch salt
Beat butter until pale and fluffy, add powdered sugar one cup at a time, beating after each addition. Add milk, vanilla extract and salt and whip at medium-high speed for 6 full minutes until light and fluffy!
Level cake layers and sandwich with strawberry compote and buttercream. Tip: Make a buttercream dam before adding the strawberry filling, this will prevent it from bulging once assembled. Cover the cake in a generous layer of frosting.