Danette Zamora-Short shares her simple, Swiss meringue buttercream recipe. Create our gorgeous last bite cake with this fabulous recipe. For more incredible recipe’s, subscribe to American Cake Decorating magazine.
Danette’s Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 10 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 sticks of unsalted butter
- 2 TBS of pure vanilla extract
1. Over a pot of simmering water (double boiler) whisk the egg whites and sugar over medium high heat until sugar mixture is frothy and the mixture reads 145°, or is hot to touch.
Danette notes: You can rub the mixture between your fingers and you should feel no sugar granules.
2. Place your bowl with the sugar/egg white mixture in the freezer for about 10 minutes or until the bowl is cool to touch.
3. Place the bowl onto the mixer and, with the whisk attachment, whip with the egg whites on high speed (about 10 minutes). Switch out the whisk with the paddle attachment and continue to mix on low speed while adding in chunks of the softened butter.
Danette notes: The mixture may separate (look curdled) but keep mixing and it will eventually come back together into a beautiful creamy buttercream.
Vanilla cake recipe provided courtesy of Elizabeth Marek of the Sugar Geek Show.