There’s just something special about the sweet simplicity of a vanilla cupcake. Soft, light, airy and aromatic, it’s no wonder that the humble vanilla cupcake reigns supreme! This recipe yields the most delicious vanilla cupcake’s I’ve ever tried!
- 1 1/4 cup (vanilla bean flavored) granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour (swans down)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup full-fat sour cream
- 3 tsp of vanilla bean paste
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) whole milk
To make vanilla bean sugar, split 3 vanilla beans and empty seeds into sugar stir to combine then place into a sealed container with the empty pods and store.
To prepare: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the vanilla bean infused sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add butter and mix on medium-low speed for three minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla bean paste until smooth.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined.
- Slowly add milk and mix on low speed until just combined. The batter will be liquid.
- Fill cupcake liners just over 1/2 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then test to see if they are done. They are done when a toothpick comes out cleanly. The cupcakes should appear a buttery color with specks of vanilla bean.
- When the cupcakes are done, remove them immediately from the tins and leave them on a cooling rack (or just on your counter if you don’t own a cooling rack) to cool.
Frost with a simple vanilla- whipped cream frosting