With the prevalence of food allergies, and awareness about them on the rise, cake artists are required to be more adaptable than ever. Amy Medcalf shares a fabulous recipe for a gluten-free vanilla cake that is sure to impress!
Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
by Amy Medcalf
- 113g white chocolate, chopped
- 89ml vegetable oil
- 185g Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend (separate recipe)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 100g sugar
- 77g cup sour cream
chocolate chips (optional)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 162C degrees. Grease and then line 2 (6-inch) cake pans with parchment paper. Microwave chocolate and oil together in bowl at 50 percent power, stirring often, until chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes; whisk smooth and let cool slightly. In separate bowl, whisk flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt together.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla together. Whisk in sugar until well combined. Whisk in cooled chocolate mixture and sour cream until combined. Whisk in flour blend mixture until batter is thoroughly combined and smooth. Gently fold in choc chips until thoroughly incorporated.
- Portion batter evenly into prepared tin. Bake until cake is set on top and toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 35-45 minutes, rotating muffin tin halfway through baking.
Gluten-Free Flour Recipe
- 24 ounces white rice flour
- 7.5 ounces brown rice flour
- 7 ounces potato starch, 3 ounces tapioca starch
- 3/4 ounces nonfat milk powder
(recipe from America’s test kitchen).